Reaching out to the the Broken and Imperfect people of Port Elizabeth, particularly those who are humble enough, with sufficient wisdom to realise that they are broken, and a lot further away from the perfection that others like to think they have, than they'd like to be.
THIS IS WHERE WE ASK THE REALLY HARD QUESTIONS
Tragically, we live in a world, even a church world, a professing Messiah Yeshua world, where there’s a grace spoken of, but it’s not real grace. There’s a way about the LORD that’s spoken of, but it’s not really the way of the LORD, because what it says is, “You can pray and say that you’ve believed in Yeshua, but that you can live a life then, that says you don’t.”
The apostle Paul (after whom this NPO is named) wrote in the New Testament that we profess to know God, but by our works we deny Him (Titus 1:16)…
THE TWELVE DISCIPLES therefore are going to be a group of 12 men and women, totally sold out on Jesus Christ, deeply passionate about the REAL GOSPEL, (not the watered down mamby-pamby stuff that is being preached in so many churches today) all of whom have either visited Israel or are planning on going as soon as they can afford it, lovers of Messianic Jews, and, if totally necessary with no possible alternative way out of a situation, are prepared to lay their lives down for their Messiah, just as He did for them, who visit churches on invitation, always in groups of three, to share their testimonies and preach the Word of God with the same fervour that the real disciples of 2000 years ago did.
We are all servants of Yeshua Hamashiach. Therefore the driving scripture behind this idea is found in Matthew 5:13.
Jesus said, “You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost it’s flavour? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.”
Consider what Jesus is actually saying here. If seasoning has no flavour it has no value. If you like to cook, you know the value of salt. What good would salt that has lost its saltiness be to you? None, right? Would you keep it? No, you wouldn’t. You would throw the plastic container that you bought from the supermarket into the trash can and reach for another container or packet of salt, wouldn’t you?
Jesus is saying that He will do the same with us if He sees that we make no effort to have an affect the world around us, because if we are seen to be not doing that, if we are seen to be lazy, self-centred Believers in Yeshua, we are of little value to God. If we are too much like the world, we are worthless…
And by “seen” I mean seen by His Holy Spirit and His Angels, because although we can’t always see them, they can always see us, and in fact are watching – all the time…
It’s a frightening thought isn’t it?
My favourite Bible teacher, David Guzik, puts it this way:
- You are the salt of the earth: Disciples are like salt because they are precious. In Jesus’ day, salt was a valued commodity. Roman soldiers were sometimes paid with salt, giving rise to the phrase “worth his salt.”
- You are the salt of the earth: Disciples are like salt because they have a preserving influence. Salt was used to preserve meats and to slow decay. Christians should have a preserving influence on their culture.
- You are the salt of the earth: Disciples are like salt because they add flavour. Christians should be a “flavourful” people.
Donald Arthur Carson, a very well known Bible Commentator, has this to say: “Most salt in the ancient world derived from salt marshes or the like, rather than by evaporation of salt water, and therefore contained many impurities. The actual salt, being more soluble than the impurities, could be leached out, leaving a residue so dilute it was of little worth.”
As a child, a long time ago, my parents and I lived in Namibia, then known as South West Africa. For a few kilometres either side of Swakopmund, the roads were made of the salt that was of no commercial use, either because it was low grade or because there was something else that was not right with it. So this scripture has particular emphasis for me. I have seen with my own eyes what happens to salt that is of no value to anyone other than to spread over the roads for cars and trucks and bikes and camels and oxen and passers-by merely to walk on…
To put it politely, there are far too many people who are going to be thrown out of The Presence of the King of Kings when their time comes to leave their fleshly bodies behind on this earth, simply because they are of no value to Him. He came and He gave up His life as a human for each and every one of us. That took extreme pressure and effort, the likes of which neither you not I can ever fully understand whilst we are on this planet. When we are in His Glorious Presence, then we might have a shot at understanding the extent of His sacrifice…but personally I doubt it…
If you would like to join with me in developing a group of men (and women) who want to help to change our city through the accurate preaching of the Word of God, please contact me immediately on email@example.com (title your mail ’12 Disciples’) so that we can meet and start to get to know each other.
But before you do, please consider the initial requirements for being a member of the 12 disciples below.
These are neither hard and fast nor set in stone. I am open to honest suggestions, but I feel that these are to be the ‘bare bones’ requirements for someone who might want to join with us and become a true disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Apart from an UNDYING PASSION THAT STEMS FROM A LONG TIME RELATIONSHIP with LORD Jesus, and, along with the Holy Bible, have you studied, or are you studying purely Biblical Theology and Evangelism to some degree? (2 Timothy 2:15)
- Do you believe that the Holy Bible is the unadulterated Word of God and therefore take it as your only creed, or doctrine? (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- Do you understand the absolute importance of keeping not only the 10 Commandments, but the other 613 as far as possible as applies to yourself and your family? (Deuteronomy 6:6-9; 11:18-20; Isaiah 57:8)
- Do you understand the absolute importance of keeping the correct Sabbath (i.e. Saturday)…? (Exodus 20:8-11)
- Do you know exactly what the Mark of the Beast is? (TIP: It’s NOT the microchip that everyone is talking about…)
- Do you know the truth of the Predestination of the Elect doctrine? (TIP: No one is predestined to hell from before they were born as Calvinism dictates)…
- Are you completely familiar with the concept of The Courts of Heaven? It would be great if you have actually done the Course and perhaps have visited the Courts yourself personally;
- Are you familiar with David Guzik and his amazing work?
- Are you familiar or perhaps studying something with the on-line Bible School at www.biblicaltraining.org?
- Are you familiar with Torben Sondrgaard and his TLR (The Last Reformation) work?
- Have you read:-
a. The Bible?
b. A Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster? (http://www.stbarnabasmcminnville.com/PDFs/Celebration_of_Discipline.pdf)
c. Lead Like Jesus by Ken Blanchard & Phil Hodges? (https://www.leadlikejesus.com/sites/default/files/llj_revisited_free_sample._pdf.pdf)
d. The Book of Mysteries by Rabbi Johnathan Cahn? (http://www.parable.com/assets/pcom/files/Excerpt/9781629989419.pdf)
- You can come from any walk of life; you can be a farmers, a miner, a baker, a business man and woman, heck – even a candlestick maker or a lawyer! (LOL!)
- Do you have a great sense of humour? (Luke 6:21)
- Are you prepared to dedicate yourself to the gospel and make Jesus Christ the LORD of your life, as well as your Saviour and your Master…?
- Are you prepared to put God first over everything…and have a genuine Servants heart…are you prepared to serve fellow men and women, including not being shy or ashamed, not being too proud to wash everyone’s feet (John 13:5) at any given meeting…?
- It would be beneficial if you are either retired or self-employed so that work schedules do not get in the way of preaching the gospel in churches and in businesses across the city…but this is not a hard and fast requirement;
- A separate website may be created but there is NEVER to be any following of any individual members – any ‘following’ that is established is a following of the disciples as a group of 12, and NOT of any individual.
- Are you a family person? (1 Timothy 3:2-5)
- If you are married, is your marriage a good, strong one – with your spouse in full support of this concept. If you are not married it doesn’t matter because neither am I;
- Hopefully you are not afraid of speaking in public, or addressing a congregation?
- Are you very tired of the blind leading the blind (Matthew 15:14 / Luke 6:39), and the wishy washy weak and watered down gospel that is being preached today;
- Are you someone who knows better than to sell people the “Sinners Prayer” story or tell them about “inviting Jesus into your heart”, as nowhere in the Bible does it actually say this?
- Are you someone who fasts and prays regularly?
- Are you trying hard to live your life just exactly as Jesus told us to (John 13:35);
- Do you subscribe to the Sermon on the Mount? Do you believe that this incredible sermon is absolutely fundamental to your life in Christ?
- When invited to come and speak in a church, or perhaps at a business, are you prepared to sit at the back of the room, and not the front, just in case there is someone more important than you that needs the seat you might have taken up? (Luke 14:8-10)
- Do you have an undying passion for Israel, and do you put the Jew first (Romans 1:16) before yourself if you are a Gentile?
- Do you celebrate at least SOME of the Jewish Feasts (https://www.wycliffe.org/feast/7-feasts-that-point-to-christ)?
- Are you eagerly expecting and anticipating LORD Jesus’ Glorious Return? Are you expecting Him to arrive any day now?